My Autumn is back....

Last days in Sweden. We came to Sweden in Summer and leaving it in Autumn. This is my first Autumn post for this year and I cannot wait to share it with you. 

It just happened, from one day to the next we woke up and she was here, in all her beauty. I am beyond my happiness, as much as I love Summer, Autumn is (and always will be) my favorite season. There are many reasons why we are waiting for Autumn to come. There is this incredibly special feeling we do experience in Autumn, which is quite difficult to describe in words. To me Autumn is mystic and magic. Those fogy early mornings, presenting you a picture of a different world, you see the sun how it tries to come through the fog and you hold in for a moment, because the world seems to slow done too... the noises so far away, muffled and slow. You see the stubborn sun fighting against the fog. The more you look into the scenery, the more clearer it becomes, the sun is finally winning the battle, showing that summer is not over yet... the fog is gone, you feel the warmth of the sun and still you cuddle more into you cozy sweater and exactly in this moment you realize that Autumn is here. You feel a certain melancholy of Summer being gone and a certain joy of  Autumn to begin in the same time. Magic, would you not agree?

And then their is this changing wind, which starts to blow during the day. Initially rather shy and easy, but it gains on his power over the days. It is refreshing, not really cold, a wind you wished for so long during the hot summer days. You feel the change around you, you feel the change inside of you, you open your arms to welcome the wind . You close your eyes and let the wind take all your worries with him. You feel his power and the strengths, you feel strong and happy and ready for the change to come. You feel adventurous, I always do. I think Autumn is the season which brings out my creativity the most. Most likely because of all these colors, the special light (a mix of warm and cold at the same time) you can play with and it certainly plays with you.

I welcomed my Autumn with hot cup of green tea and homemade graham cookies. My new favorite for cozy days. Autumn is perfect for coziness, don´t you think? If you could call a cookie warm and cozy, you certainly would do it for these cookies. So much comfort they will provide. I love them for breakfast with a hot cup of tea. My husband loves them with a glass of milk and my son just like the are plain and humble.
Graham cookies
  • 120 g wholemeal flour (Vollkornmehl)
  • 60 g flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 30 g wheat bran (Weizenkleie)
  • 50 g brown sugar
  • 100 g cold butter (cut in cubes)
  • 50 g honey
  • 30 ml milk
  • vanilla essence or cinnamon (whatever you prefer most)  
In a big bowl mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, wheat bran and sugar. Add the butter and crumble it with your fingers till all the butter is incorporated (you shall get a sand like mixture). Add honey, milk, vanilla or cinnamon. Mix everything till it all comes together. Roll out the dough as thin as possible, between two baking paper sheets, to an rectangle. Let it chill in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes. Take it out and cut out the cookies (squares or rectangles). Place them on a baking tray and bake for about 15 minutes, till the edges starts to brown. Note that the cookies won´t go up much and will be rather flat and crispy.


I think you would agree that the change between the seasons is more noticeable at the country side, hence I am more then grateful of having this experienced while we are still here in Sweden. I used every morning standing outside looking into the distance, lost in my melancholy, holding a warm cup of tea, wearing my (way too big) knitted cardigan over my nightdress and knitted socks, simple enjoying the fact of being in luck having this all just for me.

I miss our summer vacation already, even so it just ended. I miss Sweden already now, despite the fact we are still here. But in the same time I do enjoy this feeling of missing it... this only means how much we loved and enjoyed it and how lucky we are of being able to call it home. I guess the autumn melancholy got to me... I welcome you my dear Autumn, I really do.....

Enjoy!

Comments